What is SEO?
You’ve heard of this acronym and know that it’s kind of important if you have a website, but still don’t totally understand why? Join the masses and read on!
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a huge topic and covers many facets of the online world. We can help demystify how it applies to you as a business owner and the owner of a website.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation, which refers to the process of getting traffic from the free, organic and natural search results on a search engine such a Google, Yahoo or Bing.
Optimise your online presence
New Zealanders primarily use Google as their search engine of choice. So, at Monster Graphics, we optimise your website to be found quickly and easily by Google. It helps if you think of Google as an online filing system comprised of trillions of websites.
Google will decide where it will display your website based the words the user is searching for – that’s the simple part. Google also uses a complex ranking system made up of more than 200 factors that are constantly changing and increasing. The impressive part is the search results are displayed within 2-3 seconds!
Where will your website appear among all the suitable search results that Google finds is the question on everyone’s mind. Will it appear on Page 1 or will it appear on Page 3 (or worse)?
The MONSTER Checklist of Important SEO Factors
- What are the keywords and phrases that are being searched for in your industry?
- Does your website contain these keywords and phrases?
- Has your website been built to meet best practice standards?
- Do you have an online presence? (Google Plus, Social Media, You Tube etc)
- Do you have any reviews online about your business?
- Do you have other websites linking to your website?
- Has your website had meta tags, title tags, image tags, alt tags and meta descriptions added?
- How quickly does your website load?
- Does your website engage the reader? Engaging them enough to click through to another page?
- Does your website use heading tags correctly?
- Is the content fresh or has it been updated recently?
- Does your website service a need for a local based searcher?
- Does your website have social media links?
- Does your website have any history with google?
- Can your site be crawled easily by Google spiders?
- Do you have any business reviews online?
Some factors hold more weight than others, and no single factor guarantees top rankings; however, a good combination of them all will receive prime organic rankings in Google.
Now that you understand the basics of what SEO means to you and your website, some other important factors to consider are:
- How much competition do you have online?
- Have you tried Googling your keywords for your industry to see who else appears?
- How are you going to drive traffic to your website?
- What call to actions are you going to use to convert a visitor to an enquiry?
It’s great to have the knowledge on what SEO is, and a little bit on how it works, but what do you do now?
If your website isn’t delivering the results that you want or isn’t even ranking in Google, we can help you.
Contact Teresa for a free chat, we’d love to shout you a coffee/tea and talk about your needs and how we can improve your SEO to get results – that’s what your website is for right?
Call our freephone number (even from cellphones) 0508 MONSTER (666 783) or email Teresa direct on [email protected]
We love helping local businesses and seeing them succeed!
Want a FREE new tip on websites every month? Sign up here for the Monster Mailer.